Whilst chlorine in your tap or drinking water is not harmful, some people are more sensitive to the taste and smell of this element. Chlorine is usually added to the drinking water as the last stage of treatment to kill harmful germs that may be present in the supply.
Water suppliers in the country use low chlorine levels to keep the water safe. Concentrations can vary greatly and may be higher if you live near a water treatment facility. Warm and Dry Plumbing Services shares some facts about chlorine and a few ways to minimise the smell or taste of this element in your water.
A Fact About Chlorine
Suppliers have been using chlorine to disinfect water for more than 100 years. This means that diseases such as dysentery and cholera, that were once common, are now rare. These diseases, however, still kill people in developing countries, where water supplies are not treated and disinfected.
Cooling the Water
It is a legal requirement to disinfect the water supply and suppliers use chlorine to do this. If you are sensitive to its taste or smell, you can minimise it by placing the water in a container in the fridge for a few hours before drinking it. It important not to keep the water for more than 24 hours, as it will totally remove the chlorine. This means that the water is no longer protected against bacterial growth.
Boiling the Water
If you can still smell and taste chlorine after storing the water in the fridge, boil the water for about five minutes. This will remove a significant amount of chlorine. When the water cools down, you can store it in the container in the fridge. A home treatment device like a water filter is also a good choice, as it can absorb chlorine and other substances that can affect the taste of the water.
Sometimes, a chlorinous or metallic taste in hot beverages may be due to plumbing materials or other appliances installed close to the taps. In this case, it best to hire a plumber to change the hoses or the valves.Read More